NOTE: This is a sample contract for information purposes only. If hired, I will email a contract for signature.
LETTER OF AGREEMENT
NON DISCLOSURE AGREEMENT
JLSkinnell Editing & Proofing
This Letter of Agreement will serve as a contract for the editing of one manuscript. I have set out a description below of the services that I, (Editor), will provide to you, (Author), The agreed upon price for the services is $0.006 USD per word of the original manuscript containing ______ words. In addition, I will provide services as specified under Additional for publication on Amazon. The total amount will be $_______ USD.
I will provide the following services:
- Minor editing and proofing of manuscript using Microsoft Word TRACK CHANGES as explained below.
- The Chicago Manual of Style is the form used to edit said MS.
- Author’s tone and style will be retained.
- Edits will include grammar, punctuation, proofing and assistance with prose and basic formatting.
- Edits will be done in US English.
Delivery Terms: Author will deposit $100.00 for the work before editing service is rendered to editor’s PayPal account.
By the Editor:
- Editor to return manuscript via Word with track changes within fourteen (14) days after receipt for 1st review of edits and formatting.
- Editor will return manuscript via Word with track changes within fourteen (14) days after 2nd review for review of edits and formatting.
- Editor to provide invoice with completed manuscript that will be in both eBook and paperback form for Author’s files.
Additionally (not included in .006/word quote) for self-publishing on Amazon:
- Editor will format final copy for eBook publication on Amazon – $50
- Editor will format final copy for paperback on Amazon – $50
- Editor will upload final copy and make sure all is approved and ready to publish with Amazon for eBook and paperback – $50
- Payments are made to PayPal. Editor’s account is firstname.lastname@example.org
- Remaining payment is due 100% when the manuscript is delivered and book is uploaded to Amazon.
- No new copy will be taken on until payment is made for previous work completed.
By the Author:
- Author to review and approve/disapprove any track changes and formatting made by editor during each review round.
- Author will create an account on Amazon’s self publishing website at this link https://kdp.amazon.com/en_US/
- Author agrees to provide login ID and password (temporary) to Editor so that Editor can upload eBook and paperback to Amazon.
- Author is to give editing credit to Editor by adding Editor’s name (Jennifer Skinnell) to the manuscript (even in only published with Amazon).
- If/When book goes to print, Author will send a signed copy to Editor at address below at no charge.
Non-Disclosure Agreement Terms:
The editor agrees to never release, in part or in full, the content of the manuscript without full permission from the author.
This agreement may be terminated by either party in the event of material change of circumstance, with seven (7) days’ notice. If I terminate the agreement, I will be paid by you for work done up to the date of termination. If you terminate the agreement, you will pay me for work done until termination.
Editing is intrinsically a process of offering advice and suggestions to the client. While I will make every effort to bring questionable material to your attention, you agree to indemnify and save me harmless from any and all claims or demands, including legal fees, arising out of any alleged libel or copyright infringement committed by you in creating the work.
I can’t be liable to you or any third party for damages, including lost profits, lost savings, complaints, claims, litigation or other incidental, consequential or special damages that arise from this work.
If any provision of this agreement shall be unlawful, void, or for any reason unenforceable, then that provision shall be deemed severable from this agreement and shall not affect the validity and enforceability of any remaining provisions.
This contract may be changed only by written agreement between you and me.
If you agree that the foregoing fairly sets out your understanding of our mutual responsibilities, please sign a copy of this letter in the space indicated below via typing, fill in requested address information, and email it back to me.
Author’s Name and Contact Information:
JLSkinnell Editing & Proofing
Editor’s Signature: _____________________________